Saturday, November 23, 2013

Christmas Book Countdown and Activity Advent Calendar

I'm excited to share some things I'm doing this year for the Holiday Season. In the past few years I've noticed that Christmastime wasn't the same as when I was young. It feels like Christmas sneaks up on me and I'm thinking, "is Christmas seriously this week? Definitely doesn't feel like it!" Then I feel panic and stress trying to cram traditions and shopping all in one week. This year I have a plan. I am going to make every day special by making some advent calendars! I've planned a Book Countdown and an Activity Advent Calendar. I'm also doing Elf on the Shelf for the first time this year.  I'm going to photograph everything and make a scrapbook album of the holiday season. 

Book Countdown:



Beginning Thanksgiving night, we are going to read a holiday book each day until Christmas. I gathered all of my Christmas books and went to the dollar store to purchase a few more. 
I wrapped all of the books and using a paper punch and some extra Thickers (alphabet stickers), I made tags so you can clearly see which books go with each day. I then put all of the books on an empty book shelf in the living room where the tree will go in December. I think my son (4 yrs) will really enjoy it and he's already been staring at the packages wondering which book will be first! 

Here is the list of books I have for this Book Advent Calendar: 

1. Elf on the Shelf
2. Thomas' Night Before Christmas
3. The Polar Bear Express
4. Sesame Street Snowy Day
5. The Sweet Smell Of Christmas
6. Frosty the Snowman
7. Un Nino Dios 
8. Woody's White Christmas
9. Disney's Christmas Dreams
10. The Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas
11. If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
12. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer- Santa's Big Day
13. Land of Snow and Ice
14. Dora's Christmas Carol 
15. The Little Christmas Elf
16. King of the North Pole
17. Jingle Wheels
18. Guess Who's Coming to Santa's for Dinner?
19. The Animals' Christmas Eve
20. Dora's Counting Christmas
21. Elmo's Night Before Christmas
22. Beauty on Ice
23. The Christmas Story
24. I've Seen Santa! 
25. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - Rudolph Helps Out
26. Dinosaur VS Santa
27. The Night Before Christmas



For the Activity Advent Calendar, I used a ton of my Christmas Scrapbook Stash that has been sitting around begging to be used. I also used a lot of envelopes. Basically, I came up with different activities that we can do throughout December, starting on the first. Some of the activities are small, free, and don't require leaving the house. Others are events that we've planned or places to go. I'm excited to give this a try and really make it feel like Christmas all month long!

Here is the list of Activities:


12/1- Decorate the House and Make a Decoration
12/2- Write a Letter to Santa using the Mega Monkey Mash Printable
12/3- Take a Family Photo
12/4- Make/Order Christmas Cards 


12/5- Hot Chocolate Day
12/6- Make a Christmas Craft 
12/7- Visit Santa at the Mall
12/8- String Lights Outside


12/9- Christmas Family Game Night
12/10- Watch Christmas Movie
12/11- Dinner Date 
12/12- Go Ice Skating


12/13- See the light show at the farm
12/14- Decorate Tree (we get a real tree so we do this in the middle of the month)
12/15- Bake Cookies
12/16- Check out the Lights in the Neighborhood


12/17- Watch Elf
12/18- City Date 
12/19- Christmas Carols and Dance Party
12/20- Decorate Gingerbread House


12/21- Winter Walk in the Park 
12/22- Make a New Ornament for the tree
12/23- Wrap Gifts
12/24- Cookies and Milk for Santa

I hope this gives you some ideas to make your holiday special this year! Do you have any holiday traditions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment