Thursday, January 26, 2017

Na na na na na na. Na na na na na na na. Home Dec!

We are always looking for cool art for our walls that accent our interests and that are interesting. I stared something in my family room that I call “The Nerd Wall”. On it, I plan to hang different pieces of pop culture that each member of the family loves. In some cases, maybe only one of us love the show or icon and in other cases, it could be a family obsession.

Like Batman.
We love Batman.

Out in the cyber world, I came across an image on Pinterest that layered comic book pages and classic Batman fight imagery like “BAM” and “POW”. I have also seen floating all over the internet the reemergence of String Art so I thought… why not marry the two? (after all, my Nerd Wall is only so large!)

The sisters and some of our friends like to get together from time to time for a Pinterest Party where we all do our own thing to put a different spin on a common project. This month, we chose to do string art and I was set with my plan!

The first step- head to Home Depot and gather supplies. Doing the projects as a group, we are able to buy the supplies together and save a few bucks. The awesome people at my local store are more than happy to cut down a large board for you into whatever sizes you like (as long as they aren’t too small and thus unsafe to cut on their large saw set up). In addition to the boards, we needed paint (if you wanted that), nails, and string. When choosing the nails, I would recommend thinking about if you want a large nailhead showing on your design or if you would like the nails to sort of disappear into the string and overall image.

You will want to prep your board with paint, stain, or in my case with comic pages prior to starting the actual string art process. I cut panels out from two comics that a friend gave me (damaged by his pets) and used spray adhesive to lay down the pages and a sealer to cover the pages when I was done. Comic pages are glossy so I didn’t have to worry about color bleeding.



Once you have your supplies you can use a template to trace your design or just freehand it like one member of our group did. I used a template and nailed along the edge of the Bat Symbol using the width of a pencil to keep the nails as evenly spaced as I could. After I had my nails set, I ripped off my paper template and set to wrapping my string. I like the look of multiple string layers but wrapped erratically in a random pattern. When you like the way the design looks, tie off your string on a nail in a knot and cut the excess off.


I added saw tooth hangers to the back and I was ready to mount it to the wall. I love how it turned out and it is my starting piece for my new art collection. I love adding homemade art to our home; it really personalizes the room and I am able to make exactly what I want!


No comments:

Post a Comment